I have present this topic to my classmates last year(2007) as my oral test topic. So, this is basically the same as what I present to my classmates last year. Maybe this is a longer and more detail post since that presentation I want make it quick because I afraid that no one will listen to my story. I'm not sure whether they still remember and know my story...
My Story of The Bee Gees
I start to listen to their music first in the 1997 or 1998. (This was so long ago until I forgot my age at that time! Oh God!) That time, the song Alone which is a hits in many Asians country like Singapore, Thailand, Indonesia and including Malaysia. My mother listen to Mix FM everyday when she was in the kitchen with her black SONY amplifier that was loud enough to be listen through out the whole house! (Luckily no one complain that to my mum!) That time, I started like to listen to the radio since my mum open it. Then I start to record it to a tape when I come across with the song that I like. I still remember the catchy song in the intro of the song Alone. When I heard that song is being play, I record it. After that I play back and forth the tape that I recorded. I also remember that I label the singer as 'biji'! How would I know the singer of that song? My mother tell me that. Although my mum not a big fans of Bee Gees but the Bee Gees was very famous in my mother's era and so with my era too... ^_^ That time I'm not that good in English, and I only can interpret that singer as 'biji'. What a shame!
One day, when I clearing the cupboard in my room, I discover the cassette Bee Gees Greatest Hits with a bunch of other cassette. As soon as I know that was the singer who sing the song Alone, I quickly play that cassette. It was nice! I don't have the feeling that it was old when I first listen to it,(maybe just a bit. haha) I just remember it was nice to hear with. ( I think I was the special one...) I always listen to both side of the cassette since that time onwards.
I still remember that, when the pirated CD first hit our country. The store where they sell all kinds of pirated CDs was everywhere in the night market. I try to look around what they could offer and I discover the album 'The very best of The Bee Gees'. Of course I'm the happiest guy on that time! I quickly borrow some money from my mum to buy that album. That was the first Bee Gees album that I bought although it was pirated. As soon as I enter the car, I try to play that song. The first song was Alone. When I reach home, I come out from the car and continue to play that song in my house until midnight, until finish the whole album. After that, I every week went to the night market when my mum visit my grandmother. The second pirated Bee Gees album that I bought is This is where I came in.
When I'm big enough and have recsources, I check that the album that I bought, 'The very best of The Bee Gees', was actually didn't have the song Alone. Because it was a hits in Malaysia and request from the buyer, they mix that album with the songs that suitable with Malaysian. The album 'This is where I came in' was release that time, in 2001 which they mix together with the older material, 'The very best of The Bee Gees'.
When I was smart enough, I always visit those music stores, bringing the hope that I will find more Bee Gees album. In the year 2003, I bought my very first, original album of the Bee Gees, 'The Greatest Hits, The Records' which was actually release in the year 2002. I have watch they promote this album on TV in the new year of 2003 where that time my family and I busy decorating my house to prepare for the CNY that year.
Slowly after I have access to the internet, I 'research' the profile of the Bee Gees. Slowly I develop my interest and knowledge towards the Bee Gees. I also frequently visit YouTube for any rare Bee Gees video that I never watch before and download some which I like most...
In the end of the year 2006, when I got my second job salary, which was the second largest amount that I ever receive, I treat my friend who recommend me to that job for a dinner. I actually plan to go to the PC fair at KLCC with him that time. After that we went to Tower Records and discover few Bee Gees album. I ever enter to Tower Records at the Lot 10 there but never found the Bee Gees album that I like/recognise. At the Tower Records KLCC, I bought the album 'One Night Only' which was recorded at Las Vegas, Grand MGM in 1997, release in 1998 in their 'One Night Only' world tour. The second album that I bought was 'Still Waters' which was actually release in 1996. The first song in that album was Alone. Later I discover that, that was the album where it was a hits in Asian country. That album is imported from Europe, who's Tower Records only import it and cannot be found elsewhere. Actually I was looking for that 'One Night Only' album where I saw it last time on elsewhere when I was not that good in Bee Gees history. I even try to booking for it at the store where I saw it last time. What they say was "That was long ago. The company didn't manufacture it already". That was a disappointment to me. I also have seen the album Still Waters inJusco before, but I didn't bother it because I don't know that much and not enough of money that time.
I can consider that I am very luck when I went to Tower Records that time because I bring enough of money, money from my salary and come into it suddenly when I never expect it. It was kind of 'windfall' to me that time. This bring me to a total of three original album of The Bee Gees that I owned now. I also have some of the DVD's and video that I download too. I store all those stuff as my collection. I think I'm not satisfy enough in collecting their stuff because my collection was just a bit compare to others fans.
It will take a very long time for me to post it, if I were to written down all my experience through out this 10 years of my experience in 'research' of The Bee Gees history. It was still very fresh in my mind and it was very fun to remember all those things back when posting this topic. If you are interested in my Bee Gees experience or not understand enough and have any question about Bee Gees, please feel free and do not hesitate to post your question at the comment section to ask the 'Bee Gees researcher'(Me lah, LOL!) . I will try my best to answer your question and glad that you interested in Bee Gees. But I have sixth sense that no one will ever dare to ask me some question because they have had enough of me talking about
the Bee Gees.
One Night Only VS Saturday Night Fever
The end...
Edited in 5th of July 2009


4 comments:
Congratulation to who ever that can read this from the top till the end. Please feel free to ask question about the Bee Gees...
I wonder Who would still have questions in their mind,
I won't have questions bout bee gees anymore in my whole freaking life!
That is one very long post.
Ohh, Now i see why u like them..
Are they dead?
The Bee Gees member are Barry, Robin and Maurice Gibb where they are siblings. They also have one more younger brother, Andy Gibb and he's a successful singer too but died in 1988 and Maurice died on 2003. Now just left Barry, 61 and Robin 58 which he is twins with Maurice...
Any question?
Post a Comment